Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Tortilla Recipe

 I haven't eaten tortillas in such a long time...
Not because I don't like them but because I hated to buy the tortillas that had all the preservatives and extra ingredients that looked like a paragraph on the side of the package. I was intimidated to make my own but since mastering other breadmaking I figured I could handle it. Turns out it's really simple and it's honestly a bit addicting! I don't know if its because the texture of the dough reminds me of my childhood when I played wih playdough or just the fact that you can make them so quickly. I love seeing fast results, lol. I also love this version because it is vegan since I use coconut oil instead of butter. I make a big batch of these, so I can store them in the freezer and pull them out when I need them.

You could use the tortillas in place of bread and make yummy nut butter and jelly rolls, veggie rolls or even fill them with this yummy Healthy Taco Salad!

I always double this recipe, because with my large family we go through them pretty quickly.


Ingredients:
* 1 cup unbleached white flour (I just found unbleached flour in bulk at my local health food store, love it!)
*3/4 cup of whole wheat flour (you can use all white flour if you want them super flaky and light)
* 3/4 tsp sea salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
* 1/2 cup very hot water
* coconut oil for cooking

Directions:
  1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl, add the softened coconut oil and work into the flour until' you get a crumbly texture.
  2. Mix the hot water in slowly until combined
  3. Put mixture on lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes
  4. Shape dough into a ball and place in lightly greased bowl and cover and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 8 balls and then flatten. (I have more than 8 balls in this picture because I doubled the recipe) I found that if I smushed the ball under a glass bowl, then rolled out with my rolling pin I was able to get a pretty thin consistent shape. Make sure they are really thin so they turn out right.
  6. Preheat oiled skillet with some coconut oil on medium heat. Cook the tortilla for about 30-45 seconds on each side. They are done when they start to turn brown and puff up a bit. Be careful not to cook them over a very hot heat or they will burn.
  7. Let the tortillas cool down and freeze.


What will you do with your tortillas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails