Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Carrot Muffins

So I promised to share my carrot muffin recipe. If you don't want to juice the carrots you could substitute shredded carrots in place of the carrot pulp. In order to have enough carrot pulp for this recipe, I juiced about 8-10 carrots, and 2 apples which makes about 2 tall glasses of juice (enough for me and my kids) and you will end up with about 2 cups of carrot/apple pulp. I just use the apple pulp too, you could use all carrot pulp if you want to. If you can't use your pulp right away, you can stick it in an airtight container for up to about 24 hours, or you can freeze it. Just make sure to defrost before you make these muffins.

I like these muffins because they are very earthy, and the raisins add an extra sweetness to each bite. These are a bit more dense, because of the whole wheat flour. If you want to get creative try adding an ripe banana or 2 to your batter for a bit more sweetness and moisture.

Carrot Muffins
Makes 12

Ingredients:

2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 Cup extra virgin olive oil (or you can use vegetable oil)
1/4 cup water
1 Teaspoon sea salt
2 Teaspoons cinnamon
1 Teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
2 Teaspoons baking Soda
2 Teaspoons vanilla
3/4 Cup of brown sugar (I like to use local raw honey instead)
2 Cups carrot pulp

4 medium to large eggs
1 Cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease approximately 12 muffin tins thoroughly. Mix the whole wheat flour, olive oil, water, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, vanilla, sugar, and carrot pulp together. After these ingredients are blended, add in the eggs, nuts, and raisins and mix thoroughly. Scoop mixture into muffin pan:


Bake for about 18-20 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes and enjoy!


When I make breads or muffins I like to double the recipe and freeze half of the batch. This way on those crazy days we can just pull a muffin out the freezer let it thaw and you've got a tasty homemade snack. My kids love these muffins for breakfast, or anytime of day for a snack. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. A friend of myn suggested to use part all purpose flour and part whole wheat flour to make them lighter. I think it's a great suggestion if you are looking for something a bit fluffier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails