Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

"I can't Homeschool"

Those are the words I murmured when my husband first suggested homeschooling the kids.

Really? You want ME to homeschool our kids? I just couldn't believe it. So many questions and thoughts rushed through my head. How am I supposed to do that? Where do I start? But what about me time? What about state regulations? What curriculum am I supposed to use? How much is this going to cost? My kids need to be able to socialize...I can't school them ALL.Day.long... Oh, and I HATE math...

Eventually the idea of homeschooling sunk in. It would be nice to have the kids home with me... they just grow up so quick and I'd get to spend plenty of time with them. I'd rather not put them in public schools... and not really interested in the cost associated with private schools, plus I stay at home anyways, so they might as well stay at home with me. Right?

It wasn't that easy... I was still so nervous and felt like I plunged into an ocean of unfamiliar water. I pushed forward, and read everything related to homeschooling. The more I read, the more confident I became. It honestly took me over a year and a half of homeschooling my oldest to finally feel like I got the hang of homeschooling my children. But believe me when I say... I'm still learning.
Over the next several posts, I will focus on some of these thoughts and concerns that I had about homeschooling. If you have any questions about homeschooling, feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help however I can.

To get you started though, check out:

Plus, a few book recommendations include:
"Teach your own", by John Holt
"The Well Trained Mind", by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
"So, You Are Thinking of Homeschooling" by Lisa Welchel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails