Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Keep your cash out the Trash: Bananas

I cringe when I have to throw out food. I might as well be throwing wads of cash in the trash! I've found some great ways to help keep that food from going to waste, so I can get the most out of the not-so-cute looking fruits/veggies that have ripened past their prime.

We love bananas around here, but sometimes we don't eat them soon enough. I know these are to ripe for my liking, and the kids think the brown spots are gross. 

BEFORE:

AFTER:
What kid can't resist these adorable banana pops? Plus they are so simple to make!

Frozen Banana Pops:

  1. Just peel your bananas, then slice them in half.

  2. Insert popsicle sticks in the cut side, lay on cookie sheet/ baking tray and freeze until' firm

  3. Make sure to transfer to a freezer bag within a few hours to preserve.
*If you want to get fancy, dip bananas in a bit of melted chocolate for a real treat, then freeze.


Some other ideas for overipe bananas include using them in banana bread, and smoothies. If you aren't going to use them right away, go ahead and peel them and freeze them on a cookie sheet (to prevent sticking together) then transfer to freezer bag to store for a few months.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails